Wednesday 12 September 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (8)


Waiting on Wednesday is a book meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where we showcase books we're highly anticipating.


Yes, this is a post!

So... you may or may not have noticed that I've been kind of absent from the blogging community for the past few weeks. Things have been crazy lately but they're finally starting to die down, so I'll try my best to catch up with all the stuff I've missed! I also have a lot of reviews to post, so keep an eye out. :)

This week I'm waiting on...




Release date: 28 August 2013
Coming from: Medallion Press (363 pgs)

If she stays quiet, it will destroy her. If she speaks out, it will destroy everyone.

Kate Franklin’s life changes for the better when her dad lands a job at Beacon Prep, an elite private school with one of the best basketball teams in the state. She begins to date a player on the team and quickly gets caught up in a world of idolatry and entitlement, learning that there are perks to being an athlete. 

But those perks also come with a price. Another player takes his power too far and Kate is assaulted at a party. She knows she should speak out, but her dad tries to silence her in order to protect the team. The world that Kate was once welcomed into is now her worst enemy, and she must decide whether to stay silent or expose the corruption, destroying her father’s career and bringing down a town’s heroes.

Similar to Jandy Nelson’s The Sky is Elsewhere, Canary is told in a mix of prose and verse.




Release date: 2013, from Disney Hyperion 

Marina has everything. She’s got money, popularity, and a bright future. Plus, she’s best friends with the boy next door, who happens to be a gorgeous prodigy from one of America’s most famous families.

Em has nothing. Imprisoned in a small white cell in the heart of a secret military base, all she has is the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

But Marina and Em have one big thing in common: they’re the same person.

Now Em must travel back four years in time in order to avert the terrible future from which she’s fled, and there’s only one way to do it. She must kill the person who invented the time machine in the first place: someone from her past. A person she loved.

But Marina won’t let them go without a fight.



Canary is one of those books that just seems like a classic before it's even been published, if that makes any sense. I thought some of the poetry in The Sky is Everywhere was beautiful, so I'm excited about the comparison! And that cover art is amazing.

Now, there's a lot going on in All Our Yesterdays' summary. I mean, it's presumably told from two different PoVs, set in different time periods? Okay. But wait - it's the same girl... and she's dealing with two different love interests from different time periods... while fighting herself?? Ahhhh. This is either going to be the most epic book EVER, or kind of a mess. I have high hopes, though, because it sounds amazing!

What are you waiting on this week? Link me because I'd love to see!

8 comments:

  1. I noticed! Amazing to see you're back, L! :)

    I'm not sure about Canary. I haven't read The Sky is Everywhere. It sounds really sad, though. All Our Yesterdays I am definitely looking forward to. I really hope it lives up to its description. Fabulous picks, hon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to have you back Lauren!

    I have not heard of All Our Yesterday's but it sounds awesome! I've added it to my TBR :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both books are new to me, but sound so good! Especially All Our Yesterdays. I love time travel stories:)

    Here's my WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All Our Yesterday's sounds very promising! Canary sounds really good too!

    I missed you while you were gone, I was actually just thinking of you yesterday, I had realized I hadn't gotten any emails lately. Glad you're back!

    Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about Canary. It sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing, Lauren. I can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these sounds really good and I love the cover of Canary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back Lauren!
    I've heard about Canary & am looking forward to getting my greedy hands on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one very insightful article. It’s content that puts me in a pensive mood. You know you’re reading valuable content when it provokes thought in the readers. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting other bloggers and readers, so let me know what you think! I try to always reply to comments, either directly or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...